Maharaja's Green Incense Review



I love burning things. Now before you think I'm a little cuckoo let me just explain how.
Never had the penchant for performing religious rituals or any such thing but recently I'd read up on burning sage to clearing the aura of the area we live and was quite interested in doing something like it.
The only trouble being I am quite allergic to external smells and smoke which can get too strong. I wanted to burn something to get a woody and natural/earthy aroma. The kind you get to smell in temples without any pollution. So that set me off in a search to find agarbattis which are green.

When I saw this product, it was in itself called Green so I just thought I had to try it out.
I light a lamp in the morning when I wake up and in the evening time too right after the sun sets. It's not a regular thing. I do miss it at times but whenever I am at home I prefer to do it.
It restores a sense of balance and happiness to see a flame burning. I love watching it.
Most agarbattis in the olden days used to be composed of organic material mixed with some fragrances which were natural. It was used during ceremonies, rituals, to overcome bad smells, repel insects and various other purposes. I remember when my grandmother in law passed away at the age of 96, her body had to be kept for two days at home. Her sons were all over the world so it took them time to reach as it was a sudden passing with no onset of illness. So my aunt kept lighting agarbatti after agarbatti, she said it was also with the intention of negating any smell that would emanate from any form of decomposition. Ofcourse, there was none because she was kept in a refrigerated coffin. 
Anyway back to the topic. 

If you've never lit an agarbatti before, this is how I do it. I light the lamp(diya) and I just hold the incense stick to the flame till it catches a substantial amount of flame, after letting it burn for a few seconds, I fan it out so the agarbatti tip becomes a heated red ember and releases smoke. Then you place it in an incense stand and let it burn.

Did you know that in India alone there are about 5000 companies that make agarbattis?
They buy raw, unperfumed agarbattis which are hand rolled by women at home. Then they add their own variety of incense and packaged it for sale.

Back to reviewing the product. It comes with two packets inside. One contains a set of green agarbattis and another has them in red. They do not look like the conventional agarbattis in the sense that they are not wrapped around a bamboo stick. They are entirely made up of the same resin like substance.
What I did not know from the reading the package from the outside was that it contained a small cute agarbatti stand inside. Which was a bonus surprise for me and I really liked that more than the agarbattis themselves.
I have an extremely sensitive pair of lungs and my nose picks up strongs smells and start sneezing or watering if the product is not up to natural mark for my standards. 
I really wanted to burn something that was pure so initially I didn't feel any problem but within 5 minutes I knew I couldn't have the smoke inside the house so I took it out and let it burn there.
It lasts about fifteen minutes maybe. Though in the package I think it says around 55 minutes but I am sure they do not last that long. Neither did I want them to.
Both red and green varieties just have a subtle difference in aroma but I did not take to these at all.

I did not find it up to the mark in terms of being 'green' so I won't be re-purchasing and my search for natural incense sticks continue.

MRP- RS.15 for 10 incense sticks
Repurchase- No

Let me know your favorite incense brands, will you? just comment down below.




Share:

18 comments

  1. Recently my mum got a new brand and whenever we use that it fills the room with smoke. had to finally stop using it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah that's the problem with most of these brands, Niesha. Hope you both are able to find a better one. :)

      Delete
  2. I cannot stand these .. or anything that gives out smoke .. i get headaches... following u through gfc, twitter and g+
    do visit me at www.glamngloss.net :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Shweta, I can understand. Even I can't but I have seen a friend burning sage which I don't get here and it provides immense relief, so I've been trying to get a hold of something natural and blissful. thanks for the follows, you are sweet. I am following you too :)

      Delete
  3. very nice detailed review... with strong smells of agarbatti's my headache starts..so stopped using it..
    instead of that i light the lamp(diya or jot) with ghee..

    my recent one :http://www.vanitynoapologies.com/2013/09/wet-n-wild-mega-last-lip-color-mauve-outta-swatches-review.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, even I can't take strong smells, still searching for a really good one. Diya with ghee is awesome!

      Delete
  4. I Louuu Lavendar Agarbattis!

    n 5000 Companies!! :-O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried couple of lavender ones too and they are divine!

      Delete
  5. I too hate strong smells. Will try this brand. Nice review:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what, Megha, after trying it out couple more times, I found it bit strong so am still reviewing other brands

      Delete
  6. What a great blog, i am searching in google from couple of days” but did not find any great way, but my search came to an end after visiting your blog.!!!Do you have any more related blogs or ideas related to like your this blog, it will help me in my further research work…Will keep following your blogs…

    Potpourri Herbal || Potpourri Incense || Herbal Incense

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the only blog that I am running currently, i will be putting up more incense posts in the future as I have reviewed couple of them as the brands send them to me. If you are interested, I can put those up sooner. I recently got hooked to trying different incenses but it's hard to come by really good ones, have been through so many already. Thank you so much for your time and lovely words, Sandy :)

      Delete
  7. What a great blog, i am searching in google from couple of days” but did not find any great way, but my search came to an end after visiting your blog.!!!Do you have any more related blogs or ideas related to like your this blog, it will help me in my further research work…Will keep following your blogs…
    Wtf incense || Diablo incense ||Bizarro incense

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandly. I don't have other blogs yet

      Delete
  8. Hey Pras!. Nice review. I recently tried an Indian brand called 'Lia'. Look out for it. It's one of the best brands of agarbattis I have come across. Amazing scent. AM catching up on old pots I haven't checked before :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Naz, I saw Lia recently and their Lavender is excellent. thanks for taking the time to comment on my earlier posts, you are so sweet. I was in Kerala for ten days so not able to come online as much as I have wanted. :)

      Delete
    2. Hi again!. Good to know you already know that brand. Yeah, I did notice you don't post a lot these days.. Hope everything is alright, dear :)

      Delete
    3. Things are settled now, Naz. Just too much work at office so unable to blog as much as I would like to :)

      Delete